Monday, May 23, 2016

The Habit of Being: Letters of Flannery O'Connor (Part 2)

Here's a fun little snippet about her childhood home.  The fishbowl camera effect is annoying, but I loved that she was a critic from an early age, as evidenced by the marginalia in her childhood books.



From a letter to "A."                                30 January 56 
I have a good many books that you might be interested in but I haven't put them forth because I thought they were "too Catholic" and I did not want you to think I was trying to stuff the Church down your throat. This is a peculiar thing - I have the one-fold one-Shepherd instinct as strong as any, to see somebody I know out of the Church is a grief to me, it's to want him in with great urgency. At the same time, the Church can't be put forward by anybody but God and one is apt to do great damage by trying; consequently Catholics may seem very remiss, almost lethargic, about coming forward in the Faith. -pg. 134 

I doubt if your interest get less intellectual as you become more deeply involved in the Church, but what will happen is that the intellect will take its place in a larger context and will cease to by tyrannical, if it has been--and when there is nothing over the intellect it usually is tyrannical. Anyway, the mind serves best when it's anchored in the word of God. There is no danger then of becoming an intellectual without integrity. . .  -pg. 134

From a letter to "A."                                6 October 56


The Communion of Saints has something to do with the fact that the burdens we bear because of someone else, we can also bear for someone else. -pg. 178

No comments:

Post a Comment