Saturday, January 21, 2012

It's an illness, really

I complain again and again about needing to cut down on the number of books in my apartment, especially since we are looking at buying a home and I'm sure it will be small and lacking the floor-to-ceiling, built-in bookcases of my dreams.

Knowing this, I still buy more books.  My dear friend at work alerted me to a new $1 book store that has taken over the shell of the old Borders in our neighboring town.  To be honest, I figured I could safely check it out because it would probably only hold multiple copies of The Da Vinci Code and junk by Glenn Beck (I mean it's a dollar book store, what more can you expect?).

But there was good stuff!  Behold:

As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann
(I don't know. It looked intriguing.)

The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie
(I need to finally read me some Rushdie.  I've built him up in my head as too intimidating and it's time to get over that.)

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler
(Because I can't seem to pass an Anne Tyler book without buying it.)

The Madonnas of Echo Park by Brando Skyhorse
(First of all, that author's name is awesome, second Echo Park is just down the freeway. I need a little local literature in my life.)

What Remains by Carole Radziwill
(I had actually checked this book out of the library to read and didn't get to it over Christmas, so this one was perfect timing. I haven't read much about the Kennedy family, but this came highly recommended to me by a coworker.)

Model Home by Eric Puchner
(Over the summer, I saw a review of this on Flavorwire under "10 Novels About Lost Wealth and the Great Recession" and have been wanting to check it out.)

Maytrees by Annie Dillard
(Pilgrim at Tinker Creek kicked my butt.  I didn't donate it back to the Friends of the Library, because I will finish it at some point, darn it.  But, I thought maybe I'd try a different work by Dillard first.  Fresh start, you know.)

Shipwrecks by Akira Yoshimura
(I read about this on a blog before I started keeping track of where I heard about books.  Sounded good.)

Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence
(Because I had chosen it for the classics challenge I'm taking part in!)

101 Dalmations by Dodie Smith
(Some bedtime reading for me and my daughter.)

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
(Because I LOVED Behind the Scenes at the Museum and want to try something else by her.)

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
(Because a good friend from Arkansas says she loves this book and it really captures the atmosphere of the South.)

Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro
(I've been wanting to start reading Munro.)

There you have it.  In the face of that kind of temptation, what's a girl to do?

5 comments:

  1. Annie Dillard's An American Childhood is her funniest/richest/easiest to fall into book. Not that you need anyone to recommend books to you, clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm adding it to my GoodReads list. I really want to read Dillard. I know she would be good for my soul. She's just so hard to get into!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book collecting ia good sickness to have I think :)

    Working in a used bookshop has certainly not helped me whittle down our stacks at home...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madonnas of Echo Park is such a good book. I hope you enjoy it. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TheBookGirl--I think if I worked in a bookshop, I wouldn't come home with much of my paycheck. :)

    @Vasilly--Thanks for the recommendation--I will move it to the top of the pile!

    ReplyDelete