Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Challenges

In 2011, I challenged myself to read 100 books, and I did it! But, I feel like I read junk at the end just to meet my goal, so I don't think I'll ever challenge myself to a set number of books again. In 2012, I thought I'd join a few blogger challenges instead.

2012 CHUNKSTER CHALLENGE
Hosted by Wendy at Caribousmom
and Vasilly at 1330V
A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature, whether non-fiction or fiction. A chunkster should be a challenge.  (I picked the basic level, The Chubby Chunkster, which has you read 4 chunky books.)


1.
2.
3.
4.


Hosted by Adam at Roof Beam Reader



THE 2012 TBR PILE CHALLENGE


Challenge List:

1. The Friendly Persuasion by Jessamyn West
2. Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
3. The Master and Margarita by Mihail Bulgakov
4. The Mandelbaum Gate by Muriel Spark
5. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
6. High Tide in Tucson: Essays from Now or Never
     by Barbara Kingsolver
7. Travels with Charley: In Search of America
     by John Steinbeck
8. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
9. Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
10. White Noise by Don Delillo
11. The Master Butcher's Singing Club by Louise Erdrich
12. The Hours by Michael Cunningham

My Two Alternates:

1. How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez
2. A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters
     by Julian Barnes


Hosted by Katherine at
November's Autumn


A CLASSICS CHALLENGE
1. The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
2. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
3. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
4. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
5. Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence
6. Silas Marner by George Eliot
7. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

2 comments:

  1. After overextending myself in challenges in 2010, last year I did not participate in any.

    This year, I have agreed to a limited one in January for Orange Prize winner/nominated books. I have also made a promise to myself to read 26 books that I owned prior to 1-1-12 and with which I am willing to part when finished.

    Good luck with your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how it would be easy to burn out. I haven't participated in any blogger challenges before, so more than anything, I'm hoping to start interacting more with other bloggers/readers in 2012 and challenges sounded like a fun way to start.

    I'll look forward to reading your reviews of the Orange Prize winners! And good luck with you 26 books. That is a great goal to have. My overfilled bookcases could use a similar reading/weeding.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete