Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Man Who Ate the 747 by Ben Sherwood

Okay. I'll admit it.  I'm way behind on my goal of 104 books this year (13% behind to be exact--thank you GoodReads).  So, I've been throwing some short books in to boost my stats.  I'm thinking that was a mistake. This book was 260 pages of awful.  And yet, I kept reading it so I could mark it "read."  I need to seriously reassess my decision to make reading goals for myself.

Anyway, on to a book review.  How can you not be intrigued by this title?  The Man Who Ate the 747--what the heck?  But sure enough, Wally Chubb is proving his love for Willa Wyatt by grinding up and eating an airplane that crashed in his field.  But then, J. J. Smith comes to town.  He's the Guinness Book of World Records guy and he falls for Willa, too.

I swear, I've read Harlequin Romance novels with better plot and characterization.  J. J. is the man who can "authenticate greatness" but can't find love.  Willa is the small-town girl who's already had her heart ripped out by a "sweet talking man who sold leather-bound books."  Will they be able to find true love?  (Take a guess. . .) And what about poor sweet Wally chomping away while Rose, his cleaning lady, pines for a him, a man she can never have since his heart belongs to another.

It was just so boring. The dialogue was a lot of "he said, she said" and it was all telling, no showing.  And then the plot devices.  Oh my gosh, the plot devices were so clunky.  The heroine's kid brother nearly falls out of a water tower, but our hero saves him. Wally nearly dies, not once but twice, and miraculously recovers each time. 
Photo Credit
So, no. Don't go out and find this book.  I found out after the fact that he also wrote The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud (which I totally thought was a Nicholas Sparks book) and he is a senior producer of the NBC Nightly News.  So apparently, if you have friends in high places you can get published no matter what kind of stinkfest you write.

<I bought this book at the Friends of the Library book sale.  Then I donated it back for some other unsuspecting sucker to find.>

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, this one does sound awful, lol.
    I know what you mean about setting reading goals -- one year I signed up for an A to Z reading challenge and found myself reading some truly ridiculous things just to fill out the alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how an A to Z challenge could get tricky. I really want to set some sort of reading goal for myself, but I'm thinking sheer volume is the wrong approach. I saw your blog post about doing a classics challenge and that sounds really appealing. There are so many that I missed in college that I'd like to read. I'm thinking that may be more of my focus in 2012. We'll see.

    I've never signed up for a challenge on someone's blog before (I'm still relatively new to all this book blogging business). Did you do any challenges in 2011?

    ReplyDelete