Monday, December 19, 2011

Dictionary of Last Words by Edward S. Le Comte

Yep, another installation of "Treasures from the 800s."  I hadn't intended a whole series.  But this one is too good to pass up.  Who doesn't love famous last words? I mean really!  This book was published in 1955, but I'm still loving it.  Here are some samples to whet your appetite (find it at your library and give it a circ stat. . .)


"Well, I must arrange my pillows for another weary night! When will this end?" --Washington Irving

"Draw the curtain, the farce is ended." --Francois Rabelais

"I care nothing for that now." Major Walter Reed (upon being told he'd been promoted to the rank of colonel)

"Deaths today, 66." --Jacob Hiltzheimer (18th-century Philadelphia diarist; entry referring to the epidemic that carried him off)

"I could have won against two bullets but not against six." --David Graham Phillips (American novelist; shot by a paranoic)

"Lord help my poor soul." --Edgar Allan Poe

"Why do you weep? Did you think I was immortal? --Louis XIV (to his domestics)


"I do not have to forgive my enemies, because I killed them all." --Ramon Maria Narvaez (Spanish patriot to his confessor)

"I must go in, the fog is rising." --Emily Dickinson

Wouldn't it be a fun creative writing exercise to make up more of a back story to each of these quotes? Okay, maybe a little morbid. But I could enjoy some good literary fiction loosely based on any of these statements.

<I plan to check this out of the library in the near future when my pile at home isn't so high.>

No comments:

Post a Comment