Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Friends of the Library Book Sale Loot

It was that time again this past weekend.  Friends of the Library Book Sale!!!  Woo hoo!!!  And again, I defeated my goal of reducing the number of books in my apartment (we'll be moving--why am I doing this to myself?) but I couldn't resist.  Check it out:
Some of the titles are a little hard to see, so let me give you a list:

Julie and Romeo by Jeanne Ray
I felt like some light romance, so sue me.

Boy 21 by Matthew Quick
I absolutely loved Sorta Like a Rock Star. So much so that I bought it.  This is an ARC (the release date is set for March 2012), so I'm not sure that the Friends were supposed to be selling it, but I only paid like a quarter so I don't think anyone's going to prosecute.

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
I've always meant to read this and it was a really clean copy.

A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons
I ended up reading this as soon as I brought it home and LOVED it!  Review to come.


Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip--Confessions of a Cynical Waiter by Steve Dublanica
Anthony Bourdain blurbs it as "the front-of-the-house version of Kitchen Confidential" so that sounded pretty intriguing.

A Broom of One's Own: Words on Writing, Housecleaning and Life by Nancy Peacock
This has been on my TBR list since I saw it reviewed in the Los Angeles Times a few years ago.  So glad to run across a copy finally!  It sounds very Anne Lamott-ish.

Spend All Your Kisses, Mr. Smith by Jack Smith
Alive in Lala Land by Jack Smith
The Big Orange by Jack Smith
Out-of-print books by a Los Angeles Times columnist.  One is even autographed!

Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos
Library Journal gave it a starred review and said it was a cross between John Irving and Anne Tyler (one out of two ain't bad).

The View from Castle Rock by Alice Munro
I hear great things about Alice Munro. I don't think this is a seminal work, though, so hopefully it will still be a good introduction.

An Unfinished Life by Mark Spragg
A friend recommended it years ago and I just never got around to finding a copy. Looks like it's been made into a movie.

Still Water Saints by Alex Espinoza
He's a local author (La Puente is just over the hill from where I live) and attended UC Riverside and UC Irvine.  Gotta support the local boys!

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver
It's the only Kingsolver I haven't read, though people have been kind of wishy-washy on whether or not they liked it.

Frozen Rodeo by Catherine Clark
Total impulse buy. Looks like its out-of-print.

Plan B by Jonathan Tropper
I thought This Is Where I Leave You was hilarious, so thought I'd try another by Tropper.

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn
A million bloggers can't be wrong, can they?

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
I thought maybe I could get my husband to read it, too, and we could "discuss."  Our reading interests don't overlap much.

Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell
I keep meaning to read something by her. I saw her interviewed for Unfamiliar Fishes on Jon Stewart and really enjoyed her.


Lark and Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake


Stone Gods by Jeannette Winterson

Home by Marilynne Robinson
I wanted a nice hard-covered version of this.

Eventide by Kent Haruf
Again, wanted to replace my beat-up trade paperback with a nice hard cover.

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry


Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
by Jon Krakauer

Altar Music by Christin Lore Weber
Sounded interesting, but I've never heard of the author.  Here's the blurb on the back: "Written with lyricism and emotional authenticity, Altar Music is a portrait of a nun as a young girl, an epic tale of a family both defined and divided by its religious beliefs, and a powerful story about mothers and daughters."

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
I need more Pulitzer winners in my life.

Cats, Dogs, and Other Strangers by Jack Smith
(Wow, didn't realize I bought 4 books by him!)

A Cup of Light by Nicole Mones
This is by the author of The Last Chinese Chef whom I met last spring when our library read it as part of a community reads program.


Our Lady of the Forest by David Guterson
Just finished (and loved) Snow Falling on Cedars and figured I'd try another by this author.


In the Woods by Tana French
Got good reviews a few years ago and I meant to pick it up but forgot.

Netherland by Joseph O'Neill
Looked good, but then I was judging the book by its cover.

What is the What by Dave Eggers
Again, I just really liked the cover (same with Zeitoun).

Land that Moves, Land that Stands Still by Kent Nelson
Kent Haruf blurbed it, so it was worth a try. Although it looks like it's no longer in print. (I had to link to Amazon instead of Vromans!)

The Man that Ate the 747 by Ben Sherwood
Who wouldn't be intrigued by that title?

On Beauty by Zadie Smith
Another author I've been meaning to try.

Fierce Invalids Home from the Hot Climates by Tom Robbins.
I loved Skinny Legs and All.


Now I need to go weed my home library to make room.  This must be a sickness.  I work at a library.  I don't really need to own all these books.  I guess there are worse things to hoard.






No comments:

Post a Comment