Friday, July 8, 2011

Book Beginnings for Friday, July 8th, 2011

Book Beginnings is hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages.

How to participate: Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you feel so moved, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence. The link-up will be here at A Few More Pages every Friday.

My library book group is reading Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg for this month.  I was feeling torn about this book. On the one hand, it's really nice not to have to plow through another "issues" novel where you just feel depressed the whole time. On the other hand, Fannie Flagg can be a bit too "folksy" for me.  (Same with Garrison Keillor. I LOVE his radio show and try and tune in whenever possible. But his books. . .meh.)

I'm about 100 pages in and I've changed my mind. Folksy is exactly what I was feeling like reading and didn't even realize it.  Flagg is the perfect antidote to these hot, brain-melty days we've been having here in sunny SoCal.

I'm including the first few lines of the forward.  Oddly, it is a note from one of the characters in the book.  There doesn't seem to be any further breakings of the fourth wall, so I'm not sure how to take it.  It's cute, though:

To the Public at Large:
    As a character in this book I can tell you that everything in it really did happen, so I can highly recommend it without any qualms whatsoever. Although I am not the main character in this book, I will tell you this much: I own my own house, keep it clean, and I pay my taxes. I've never been to jail and I am most probably older than you are unless you have one foot in the grave and in that case, Hello, friend.

11 comments:

  1. I love that beginning from the character in the book!
    I am not familiar with Fannie Flagg but will have to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She wrote Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe which was made into a movie with Kathy Bates and Jessica Tandy back in the 90s. Definitely give her a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that opening. Makes me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fun read. I stayed up late reading it last night and flew through about 120 pages without even noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! What a fun beginning!

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting! It's one of my favorite memes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Admittedly, that first line makes me want to read the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom loves her books and I loved the movie Fried Green Tomatoes :)

    How nice that this book turned out to be just what you were in the mood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Libby-She kept up the momentum and the book did not disappoint!

    @TheBookGirl-This is totally a book that I can recommend wholeheartedly to my mom and grandma. :) I need to watch Fried Green Tomatoes again, it's been years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an unusual beginning but it makes you want to get right into the story. Glad it turned out to be a good read for you. Thanks for visiting Fresh Ink Books.

    ReplyDelete