Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Not Cool, New Yorker



To Whom It May Concern:

I have enjoyed my subscription to The New Yorker for the past year. However, the job market is abysmal here in California and my husband is out of work. Consequently, we've had to let some things go.

I do NOT appreciate having a billing notice sent to me saying URGENT: PAST DUE ACCOUNT with a nasty note telling me that my account is not in good standing. Obviously, if I have not paid, I am not renewing my subscription at this point. I don't appreciate a rude note from the "Credit and Collections Department."

I had planned on re-subscribing to The New Yorker when times were better. However, you can wager that I will NEVER give you any of my money again. If I want to read your magazine (or anything else by Conde Nast), I will visit my local library rather than support an organization that bullies its subscribers. I will be telling all of my friends and family about your terrible business practices, as well.

Sincerely,

Phaedosia (I did sign my real name. Can you tell I was ticked?  What an awful renewal notice. Jeez!)

2 comments:

  1. WOW. That really takes the cake. How lame. This is the kind of thing that always makes me worry for the elderly - they are susceptible to this kind of under the radar scam stuff. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I finally figured out their gimmick. They automatically resubscribed me for the magazine (without my permission) and then tried to scare me into paying them. It's too bad, because I liked getting the New Yorker. I can totally see an elderly person being bullied into paying something they didn't want or need. Interestingly, my initial subscription for this past year was half of what they were trying to bill me for.

    ReplyDelete