Friday, June 17, 2011

Book Beginnings for Friday, June 17, 2011

Book Beginnings is hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages
How to participate: Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you feel so moved, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence. The link-up will be here at A Few More Pages every Friday.

I found myself without a book to read at break this morning, so I wandered over to the returns shelf and saw Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan.  I remembered this was making the book blogs rounds at Christmas time, so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Here are the first few lines:


-Dash-
December 21st

Imagine this: You're in your favorite bookstore, scanning the shelves. You get to the section where a favorite author's books reside, and there, nestled in comfortably between the incredibly familiar spines, sits a red notebook.
What do you do?
The choice, I think, is obvious:
You take down the red notebook and open it.
And then you do whatever it tells you to do.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun beginning! I think I would definitely look inside the notebook, but I'd probably balk at doing whatever it told me to do!

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the whole first chapter of this book. Then it went downhill for me and I ended up skimming the rest. Probably it's just me, though.

    Here is my post: Beautiful & Pointless. I hope you will stop by. And I hope you will enter my June Giveaway. I'll be giving away a copy of Anna and the French Kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Katy--LOL! Yeah, I'd probably balk, too. Thanks for hosting Book Beginnings. It's always fun!

    @Deb--I'm about halfway through now. I love that it references The Strand and great books and authors (The Tender Bar, The Gathering, Franny & Zooey, etc.). But I shouldn't have read on the back flap that Cohn & Levithan e-mailed their chapters back and forth without planning anything out beforehand. Because now, as I read, I can tell they really don't have a plan and we readers are just floating along like flotsam through the narration. I wonder if I would have loved this at fifteen as it is sooo earnest and angst-ridden. . .

    ReplyDelete