Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Friends of the Library Book Sale Loot!

Check out what I got for only $28 over the weekend!
Oh library book sale, how I love you!  I missed the one in November as I was hospitalized with a burst appendix.  (If you think it's just gas pains or food poisoning and it lasts for three days with no relief--it might just be your appendix. Go get a CT scan. Not an ultrasound. Demand a CT Scan. You may think this is too much information, but seriously, it may just save your life! <insert "The More You Know" jingle here.>)



On the top are a couple of Clive Cusslers and W.E.B. Griffins that my husband grabbed.  He wanted to make sure you got an authentic view of what we actually got for the price. I wasn't going to include those, since I won't be reading them.  If you want a review at some point, let me know and I'll make him write a guest post.

Freckles by Gene Stratton-Porter
I remember this one sitting on the shelf in my school library. Time to read it (20 years later).

City of Quartz by Mike Davis
Since I've been on a local history kick for awhile, why not add another Los Angeles history book to the pile?  This one is supposed to be one of the best.

Mama's Bank Account by Kathryn Forbes
Did you ever see that great movie, I Remember Mama with Irene Dunne?  This is the book it was based on.

One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus
This was recently mentioned on one of my favorite book forums, Reader's Paradise. Can't believe I found it so quickly!

How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper
Because I loved This Is Where I Leave You.



Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
I love this book with all my heart and I lent it out and it was returned crumpled and with coffee stains. <sob> So, a replacement copy was in order.

Isaak's Storm
by Erik Larsen
This one's for my hubby.

The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney
Long-listed for for a couple of awards, sounded interesting.

The Land of Little Rain by Mary Hunter Austin
Another local-ish history and a neat old book.

Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue
I liked Room well enough, figured I try another of hers.

The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk
Another one for my husband, but I might pick it up.

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman
I can't remember where I heard of this one. But it sounds creepy and interesting.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Am I the last person on the planet to read this?  Plus, there's a movie based on it that I missed.

Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
North to the Orient was so amazing that I would read anything she wrote.

Blue Willow by Doris Gates
I remember reading this as a kid and want to read it to my girls at some point.

Good Evening Mr. and Mrs. America and All the Ships at Sea by Richard Bausch
Don't you just love the title?

Love Medicine by Louise Erdich
Because I know I'm going to love Louise Erdich if I just give her a chance.

The Bingo Palace by Louise Erdich
Ditto.

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
My bestest friend in 2nd grade lent me her copy when I was a kid. I remember loving it. Time for a re-read.

A few non-descript picture books that have already disappeared into my daughter's room and I can't read the titles from this picture. She was very proud that she picked them out. 

Frangipani by Celestine Hitiura Vaite
Because it sounded light and fun and takes place in Tahiti.

Summerland by Michael Chabon
I think I would read anything he wrote.

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Can you tell that I look forward to our nightly read-alouds? Another one to read to the girls.

Telex from Cuba by Rachel Kushner
I don't know why, but I love reading about Cuba.  Anyone hear about that new book Havana Real by a Cuban blogger? I can't wait to get ahold of it.

Eva Moves the Furniture by Margot Livesey
This has been on my TBR radar for a while, so I was shocked when I found it for fifty cents.

Diary of a Bad Year by J. M. Coetzee
I keep meaning to start reading Coetzee and this seemed as good a place as any.

War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk
Turns out we already had this one at home (oops) so we'll donate it back to the library.

2 comments:

  1. That is quite a haul. In Housekeeping vs. the Dirt, Nick Hornby has nothing but high praise for Gilead, so it has finally made its way to my list. And don't feel bad, as I have not read Never Let Me Go either. Or should I say we can feel bad together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved Gilead. I read it a few years ago when my Dad was in the hospital, so maybe I've attached more meaning to it than it deserves. But it was a beautiful and thoughtful book. I need to read her other books. They've been sitting on forever (which is probably what will happen to Never Let Me Go, too.)

    ReplyDelete