Friday, May 27, 2011

Friends of Library Book Sale Loot, Pt. 2

Hi.  I'm Phaedosia's husband and I will be your guest blogger for today.  You can call me DadontheGo, because that's my nifty new blogger name. 


So my wife recently asked me to go to the Friends of the Library sale in the next town over since she had to work.  Having regularly (and recently) visited our local library sale I thought, sure why not!  She gave me two lists.  One of books she was looking for and the second of authors she has an interest in reading.  No problem, she has done this before for our usual sales and it has worked very well.  In fact it is fun and nearly stress-free.  So, off I went, lists in hand and kids safely at grandma’s. 

I arrived at the location of the book sale before the appointed time and was surprised to find a large line of people waiting to get in.  This was unexpected.  I thought I would walk in and look around, load up my bag, pay, and run straight to back home to share the loot (and maybe revel in some glory).  The next unexpected development was that it cost $3 to buy a bag to get in the door.  I had no idea if they had any of the books I was looking for and here I was pre-paying for them.  I reluctantly paid my $3 and went in with bag and lists in hand.

Let me just say, wow.  The large room was full of tables and people. 

People first.  I love to observe how people choose their books. There were several people running from table to table jamming books in their bags, like they were on an episode of Supermarket Sweep.  I don’t even know if they were looking at them or had staged them earlier that day or what.  Then there were the readers.  They would pick up every book in turn, reading the flaps and pages to see if they liked it.  Then there the shifters/touchers who literally picked up, moved or touched every book in their path.  I fell into the spine reader category.  Read the spine (don’t touch it) and move on.
 
The books were in two or more rows on tables and divided by categories.  Some had useful labels like “hardcover fiction,” others not so helpful like “large paperbacks” (???).  I went straight to the hardcover fiction table with my lists ready to dig in.  Unfortunately, all of the books were in no particular order on the table.  Yes, they were all hardcover fiction, but I wasn’t going to be able to use Phaedosia’s carefully alphabetized list of authors.  I go right to work scanning the tables to her list of books.  I didn’t find one of her books.  So I’m off to the “large paperback” tables.  Wow, talk about random order.  And who categorizes books by size?

What to do, what to do?  I had a bag I paid $3 for and about 20 minutes before they closed.  I panicked and ran around randomly stuffing stuff in my bag until it was full.  Well not exactly.  I did see several books by authors I like and some that sounded interesting.  When my bag was almost full they announced that they were closing BUT that they had too many books to store, so all paperbacks were free!  So I ran over there and grabbed a few before I left with my haul.

Would I ever go back?  Yes!  I got a bag of books for $3!  Of course I’ll go back next time. However, my first choice will always be my library’s book sale where everything is alphabetized and in perfect order.

The Loot:

Executive Orders by Tom Clancy

Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy

Shogun by James Clavell

Shock Wave by Clive Cussler

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert

God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert

Chapterhouse: Dune by Frank Herbert

Circus by Alistair Maclean

Mutiny on the Bounty by Charles Nordoff and James Norman Hall

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer


Free paperbacks

The Alamo by Frank Thompson

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Watership Down by Richard Adams

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

Team Yankee by Harold Coyle

The Green Berets by Robin Moore

The Last Hero: Charles A. Lindbergh by Walter S. Ross

Larry Bond’s Red Dragon Rising: Shadows of War by Larry Bond and Jim DeFelice

The Battle of the Bulge by Robert E. Merriam

No comments:

Post a Comment