Saturday, May 7, 2011

Consider Yourself Checked Out: Saturday, May 7th, 2011

How to Participate: For all you library and book store employees, give us a sampling of 10 or so books in any of the following categories from the past week:
a) Books that were requested
b) Books that you recommended
c) Books that are currently on the "holds" shelf
d) Books that are on currently the "returns" shelf (in the case of libraries)
Remember, respect patrons' privacy and don't give out any identifying information about who you helped.  Just tell us what books went out the door this week.  Please link to your specific post, not to the front page of your blog.  Don't have a blog? Feel free to post in the comments section below.  This link will be up every Saturday and will be open for the entire week. Feel free to participate any day you want!
______________________________________

It's that time again. What have people been reading this week?  Don't you love being nosy about books?  When we went to the beach last week I was constantly craning my neck to see what paperbacks people were reading (which is hard to do without being too obvious).  I saw one person with The Elegance of the Hedgehog and another with something by Tom Clancy.  One of these days, I'll work up the nerve to just go up and say "Hi!  Whatcha reading?"

So, here's what we've got this week:

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers
This has been on my TBR list ever since I took an Intro to Public Policy class during the one semester I thought I might get my MPA (super interesting class--ended up dropping the program because I became pregnant and I realized that I probably don't want to promote out of a job I love).  Anyway, we watched this really interesting documentary on how the relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina were so utterly mismanaged.  It was so eye-opening.  Supposedly this book is a microcosm of all the problems that arose in those harrowing days after the levees broke.


World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War  by Max Brooks
I tried this one last summer and couldn't get into it.  But one of my favorite patrons absolutely loved it.  He found it to be a social critique (as a lot of good sci-fi is) and thought it was interesting that the people of less developed were more likely to survive a zombie attack (read "environmental crisis" or "plague" or "worldwide famine") because they are forced on a daily basis to use their brains and their bodies to survive.  We lazy, fat Americans have lost that agility and would be first to go in a global apocalypse.  Interesting tidbit--Max Brooks is Mel Brooks' son.

The Dressmaker of Khair Khana: Five Sisters, One Family and the Woman who Risked Everything to Keep Them Safe by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon
On Amazon, the author gives an exclusive interview to Greg Mortenson.  Hopefully, he hasn't tainted everything he's touched, because this book about a woman entrepreneur in Afghanistan does sound pretty interesting.

The Calligrapher's Daughter by Eugenia Kim
I stuck this one on my Goodreads to-read shelf.  This is a fictionalized account of the author's mother's life in Korea during the Japanese occupation.  It got a starred review in Publisher's Weekly and sounds really interesting.


Lark and Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips
Another starred review in Publisher's Weekly.  It's been on my radar for a while, but I've yet to pick it up.  I guess it goes back and forth between brother and sister, Lark and Termite (Lark cares for Termite who doesn't talk) and their father in the Korean War nine years earlier.  I haven't read much set in this time period, so it sounded good.

Uncharted TerriTORI by Tori Spelling
Anyone read any of these?  Does she have anything to say worth listening to?  While we're on the topic of seemingly needless celebrity books--is Jenny McCarthy any good?

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
I put this on hold for my husband to read.  I figured he could give me the book report, since it's right up his alley.

Citizens of London: the Americans who Stood with Britain in its Darkest Hour by Lynne Olson
This one just came out this week (so--yay library for getting it out so quickly!) Another one I'll probably fling my husband's way.

Atlas of Mercury by Charles Cross
Obviously someone's scraping the bottom of the barrel for the science report.  This one was written in 1977 and has only checked out once since we got our new system.  Surprised it hasn't been weeded yet.

Mystery: an Alex Delaware Novel
     by Jonathan Kellerman
Really, Mr. Kellerman? That's all you could come up with for a title?

1 comment:

  1. I am shameless in my attempts to see what people are reading on busses and trains. I've gotten some good recommendations from looking at what other people are reading. The Calligrapher's Daughter seems like a good read. I'm putting it on my list.

    ReplyDelete