Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday for April 12, 2011

Today is Top Ten Tuesday over at "The Broke and the Bookish" and today's topic is:

Ten Books I'd Like to See Made into Movies

Let's do a countdown, shall we?  So much more exciting that way.

10. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein 
Fast cars, cute dog.  And guess what, my wish will soon be coming true!

9. The Financial Lives of the Poets by Jess Walter
Okay, so maybe on the big screen it will seem more like a take-off of Weeds, but I enjoyed this book and think it would make a bittersweet family drama.  I would cast Paul Giamatti as the lead and Robert Duvall as his father.

8. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society 
          by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
I loved the BBC mini-series of life on Guernsey during the occupation (which guest stars a very young Anthony Stewart Head who plays Giles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and so think this would make for an equally engaging movie.

7. The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron
This Newbery-award winner was great. Lucky is a spunky young girl (who would be played by whatever Dakota Fanning look-alike they have at the moment) who lives with her guardian Brigitte (played by Audrey Tautou, of course).  Things go to pieces when Lucky worries that Brigitte is tired of being her guardian and so she runs away.  Of course there will be a happy ending where all will be reunited and in the process Lucky will be able to make peace with her mother's death. In my dream world, though, the movie will keep the great dialogue and quirky characters sprinkled throughout.

6. Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy 
          by Gary D. Schmidt. 
I know, I know, another children's book. But, more people should know about the Malaga Island story. An entire island's population of mixed-race people was uprooted and moved to the mainland because of greed and racism.  Their tale deserves to be delivered to a wider audience.

5. North to the Orient by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Exploration, new surroundings, interesting people, danger, this story has it all.  And it's all true--Anne was married to Charles Lindbergh and accompanied him on many of his flights.  I would totally cast Cate Blanchett (based on her Katharine Hepburn performance in The Aviator).

4. Peace Like a River by Leif Enger 
I love the Land family, especially the cowboy-poetry spouting little girl, Swede. They are on  cross-country search for older brother Davy who is on the run after he escapes from jail right before a probable conviction in the murder of two punks who were threatening his home.  A road trip in an airstream trailer, good and evil, miracles. This book is awesome.  Definitely need Jeff Bridges in there somewhere and perhaps Billy Zane as the villain, Jape?

3. Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Now there's a vampire movie I would pay to go see.  No sparkles. No fawning.  Rae is smart, resourceful and tough.  And Constantine. . .<sigh>.  I guess it would be too derivative to have James Marsters play him, but that's who I had in my head.

2. A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
Because, who saw any of that coming?  The setting alone would be great movie fodder: cold, barren and snowy Midwestern small town.  Spooky looking people.  Ooh, what's this?  It's in the works?  No way!  (Thank you Google.)

and finally, the number one slot goes to. . .

<drum roll, please>

1. The Curse of Chalion/Paladin of Souls 
          by Lois McMaster Bujold.  
Okay, I know these are two books, but we'll pull a Lord of the Rings type deal and have a companion piece. These books are awesome!  They're fantasy novels that pull in all sorts of fascinating ingredients. Compelling main characters (Lupe dy Cazaril, in The Curse of Chalion, is such a brave and tortured soul.  And Ista in Paladin of Souls is the person I aspire to be!).  There is murder, revenge, metaphysics, great characters, quests, you name it.  I only wish I could read them again for the first time. A movie will just have to do.

10 comments:

  1. Your #8 & #10 are two of my all time favorite books! I think you are right there. Your #1 is new to me but sounds facinating. I'm of to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't those two great? I loved reading about Enzo--I'm curious about whether or not the movie will keep things from a dog's perspective. And I felt like I knew everyone on the island of Guernsey, I was so sad when I finished it. Thanks for stopping by my new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P. S. I think you'll like Bujold's books. I had two separate friends recommend them to me and after I raced through them, my husband devoured them (and he doesn't typically read fantasy).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your blog and want to participate in Checked it Out. Is it a Saturday Meme or one that I can participate in any time of the week? Also I don't see a FOLLOW button. I like following better than getting email updates....I'm pretty bad at reading my e-mail.

    Considering Top Ten Tuesday Books to Movies...I like your choices:
    -Art of Racing in the Rain (I love Enzo)
    -Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Society
    -Lizzie Bright
    -Peace Like a River (especially if they kept in the cowboy poetry)
    Would make fabulous movies if done right,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind words. I'm still new to all of this! I added "Followers" to the toolbars--is that the "Follow" button you mentioned?

    Glad you like my "Checked Out" meme. There are always such interesting books flying off the shelves at my library, it's fun to recap. You can participate all week, I just stick the graphic/post up each Saturday. I'll make sure and reword the instructions so it's a little more clear.

    Again, thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the list - a countdown is definitely more exciting, I just did a 'no particular order' list.

    I hadn't seen or heard of that Guernsey mini-series, it looks interesting.

    Your blog looks great, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only one of the books on your list I have read is "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". I remember thinking I would like to see it made, not into a movie, but TV miniseries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Helen Smith--"no particular order" lists are fun, too. I'm just a sucker for lists in general! Thanks for your kind words.

    @Bibliophile--you're right, there's so much going on in that book and so many interesting characters, it would definitely do better as a mini-series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I second your vote for Potato Peel Pie Society! I'd love to see that on screen. And any of the Alan Bradley Flavia de Luce mysteries, to which I am addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep seeing my co-worker reading those in the break room, she loves them. I need to pick one up!

    ReplyDelete