Saturday, April 16, 2011

Consider Yourself Checked Out: Saturday, April 16, 2011

Consider Yourself Checked Out: Saturday, April 16, 2011


How to Participate:
For all you library and book store employees, give us a sampling of 10 or so books in any of the following categories from the past week:


 
a) Books that were requested
b) Books that you recommended
c) Books that are currently on the "holds" shelf
d) Books that are on currently the "returns" shelf (in the case of libraries)

Remember, respect patrons' privacy and don't give out any identifying information about who you helped.  Just tell us what books went out the door this week.  Please link to your specific post, not to the front page of your blog.  Don't have a blog? Feel free to post in the comments section below.  This link will be up every Saturday and will be open for the entire week.  Feel free to participate any day you want!
________________________________
 
I can't belive it's Saturday already.  April is speeding by like a freight train. I can barely keep up.

I didn't get to do much Reader's Advisory work this week since the bulk of my time was spent helping wild-eyed patrons find the right tax forms.  Suprisingly, it's quieted down today which makes me think that they didn't realize that they have until Monday this year due to some obscure holiday in Washington
D. C.

So, my list today is comprised entirely of books that are on hold for people.  It's always interesting to see what people think warrants the $1.00 hold fee.

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly
Michael Connelly has always been a big hit around here, especially since his books are set in Los Angeles. The release of The Lincoln Lawyer has really renewed interest in his back list, not that he suffered from a lack of popularity before that. However, now we can barely keep him on the shelf.
Julia Morgan, Architect by Sara Holmes Boutelle
Julia Morgan designed hundreds of buildings in California, but she was best known for the Hearst Castle in San Simeon.  Have you ever been there?  It's such a bizarre mishmash of styles.  Yet, you can't help but be swept away by the history of the place (apparently it was quite the happening spot for movie stars in the 20s and 30s), the artwork on display (acquired from all over the world) and the sweeping vistas (you can see for miles and ocean always looks so blue and beautiful) Whenever we do a road trip up north, we try and stop in.  Can't you just imagine Cary Grant diving into this pool?
Photo Credit


The Creature from Jekyll Island by G. Edward Griffin
This one's for all you Ron Paul fans out there or anyone else who questions the legitimacy of the Fed.  I have to admit, reading the description of this book does get my conspiracy theory juices flowing. Somebody stop me. Please.
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman
This book won the Pulitzer Prize for Non-fiction in 1962 and has apparently withstood the test of time.  Covering the first few months of World War I, it provides a comprehensive look at the major players and the strategies of how the war was fought. Personally, I would be more interested in reading her essay collection, The Proud Tower, A Portrait of the World Before the War, 1890-1914. I was intrigued in my English classes to find out how World War I led to the birth of Modernism. So, I think it would be interesting to learn more about the crumbling world to which the Modernists were reacting.

I'm Too Young to Be 70 by Judith Viorst
Yes, that Judith Viorst, of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day fame. She's written a series of books featuring poems about life's stages. (I'm tempted to go check out It's Hard to Be Hip Over Thirty and Other Tragedies of Married Life.)  This made me laugh:

"Re: Vision"
No lines on my face.
No gray in my hair.
No stains on my clothes where I spilled
In the course of one of my fork-to-mouth
Incomplete passes.
No dust on the tables.
No spots on the rugs.
I'm absolutely thrilled
At how perfect the world becomes
When I take off my glasses.


by Sylvia Whitman
This brief history of travel manages to cover everything from the dirt paths worn through the woods and prairies by American Indians to the major freeways built in the 1950s and 60s--all in a mere 88 pages.  All in all, a pretty decent introduction geared toward middle schoolers. Lots of fun pictures of people riding in crazy contraptions.

Apparently, Barber makes the case in this book that education and democracy go hand in hand.  He has a real beef with Allan Bloom's The Closing of the American Mind.  Obviously, I haven't read either book. They were both written in the early 1990s and I'm curious as to what these authors would make of our current educational system.

I know this is a classic, I've seen it on reading lists time and again. Yet, I've never gotten around to reading it.  With a title like that, though, what's not to love?  As you've probably guessed, it follows the lives of a Jewish family who (I assume) manages to flee to safety.  It was written in 1972 and is still asked for pretty regularly.
by H. J. Eysenck
Hmm. Another book where multiple copies have been stolen. Must be good.

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
I've never read Terry Goodkind, having only just barely dipped my big toe in the waters of fantasy writing. This is the first in the "Sword of Truth" series and judging from the condition of the book, it is well-loved and widely circulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment