Sunday, April 3, 2011

April is National Poetry Month

And in honor of this, I will be posting bits of poems at random intervals during the next four weeks.  Today's poem highlight comes from a poet named Joyce Sutphen (1949-) who lives in Minnesota. I love her the way I love Kent Haruf or Leif Enger, for her quiet depictions of ordinary people and their interactions with the land and each other.  She has three books out: Straight Out of View: Poems, Coming Back to the Body, and Naming the Stars.

Here's just a sampling (since I don't want the copyright thugs to hunt me down and beat my laptop to a pulp):

Photo Credit
    Living in the Body
    Body is something you need in order to stay
    on this planet and you only get one.
    And no matter which one you get, it will not
    be satisfactory. It will not be beautiful
    enough, it will not be fast enough, it will
    not keep on for days at a time, but will
    pull you down into a sleepy swamp and
    demand apples and coffee and chocolate cake.

Read the rest here at the Poetry Foundation and be sure and check out some of her other poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment